Re: postgres operational - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martín Marqués
Subject Re: postgres operational
Date
List pgsql-general
El 9/1/19 a las 17:38, Ron escribió:
> On 1/9/19 12:19 PM, Martín Marqués wrote:
>> El 9/1/19 a las 14:58, Steve Clark escribió:
>>> Hi List,
>>>
>>> Is there a sure fire way to tell if postgres server is up an
>>> operational. I was testing to see if the
>>> socket at /tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432 existed - but I ran into a recent
>>> problem on CentOS 7.5, postgresql 9.2.24, where the
>>> socket was there but my script couldn't read from my database yet.
>> Use `check_postgres`
>
> Isn't "pg_ctl status" the canonical method?

Depends on what you are expecting.

`check_postgres` has many different checks, one which will actually try
to connect and run `SELECT 1` to make sure postgres can actually run a
query.

pg_ctl status might return ok, yet you can't connect for other reasons.

--
Martín Marqués                http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/