Re: CTE optimization fence - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rob Sargent
Subject Re: CTE optimization fence
Date
List pgsql-general
I don’t think the fence analogy works. Try wall (a la Berlin).
I count myself amongst those who thought “Ooh this little CTE will garner just what the rest of the query needs”. Only
tofind the planner didn’t groc that optimization.

Is it a matter of deciding to trust the SQLer and runtime analyzing the CTE product before continuing? As an SQLer I
havedoubts about that precept but without _some_ change in attack CTEs approach fluff.