Re: Patch that deals with that AtCommit_Portals encounters - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Patch that deals with that AtCommit_Portals encounters
Date
List pgsql-patches
Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com> writes:
> Thomas Hallgren wrote:
>> This patch will ensure that the hash table iteration performed by
>> AtCommit_Portals is restarted when a portal is deleted.

> I'll apply this to HEAD within 24 hours, barring any objections.

I don't believe that this actually fixes anything.

In particular, if portal A actually tries to reference portal B during
A's deletion, there is only a 50% chance that this prevents problems.
And since the hash table is traversed in hashcode order, you can't
really imagine that you know which one will be deleted first.

I think a correct fix would involve suppressing that reference in the
first place, rather than making ad-hoc alterations in the traversal
behavior.

            regards, tom lane