Re: When did we get to be so fast? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: When did we get to be so fast?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> I was just testing the threaded ecpg, and ran some performance tests.
> Without using threads, I am seeing 100,000 inserts of a single word into
> a simple table take 12 seconds:
>     CREATE TABLE test_thread(message TEXT);
> giving me 8333 inserts per second.  That seems very high.

Single transaction, or one transaction per INSERT?

With the present WAL design, it's not possible for one backend to commit
more than one transaction per disk rotation --- unless fsync is off, or
your disk drive lies about write-complete.  Given that you recently
updated your hardware, I'm betting on the last item ...