Re: New to Postgresql - Backend timeout /JDBC - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: New to Postgresql - Backend timeout /JDBC
Date
List pgsql-bugs
"Peter V. Cooper" <pvcooper@gte.net> writes:
> I am told that the backend to postgresql will automatically
> timeout and close a JDBC client connection.

There is most certainly no such timeout in the backend.  Who told
you that?

We do run TCP connections with SO_KEEPALIVE set, which will cause
the connection to be timed out if the far-end kernel stops responding
for a sufficiently long time (IIRC, the RFC-mandated timeout is on
the order of an hour).  I doubt this would be likely to cause any
problems, though.  Certainly a slow application would not cause a
failure at the TCP level.

            regards, tom lane