Re: Allow disabling folding of unquoted identifiers to lowercase - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Allow disabling folding of unquoted identifiers to lowercase
Date
List pgsql-general
John McKown <john.archie.mckown@gmail.com> writes:
> ​Oh well, it's been interesting, but I don't think that we'll come to a
> resolution for the OP on this issue. I just blame both PostgreSQL and MySQL
> for this problem because the SQL standard says that the names are
> automatically UPPERCASEd unless enclosed in quotes. Not lower cased as
> PostgreSQL does it, nor unchanged as MySQL does it.​

Yeah, this isn't going to happen.  Years ago we looked into what it would
take to be able to flip a switch and have the standard-compliant behavior
(fold to upper not lower).  It was impractical then and no doubt is far
more so now.  I do not remember all the details, but there were multiple
pain points even in terms of server-side implementation, never mind all
the applications we'd break.

What the OP is asking for doesn't even have the argument "but it's
standards compliant!" going for it.  So I doubt we'd accept such a patch
even if someone managed to create one.

            regards, tom lane