Re: MemSet inline for newNode - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: MemSet inline for newNode
Date
List pgsql-patches
> I can't do MemSet in a macro that returns a value, as palloc requires.
> MemSet has a loop, and that can't be done in a macro that returns a value.

Hm.  How did Neil test this originally --- was he relying on being able
to "inline" newNode()?

Anyway, I don't think that passing an extra parameter can be a win.
If there has to be a runtime test, testing whether the two low bits
of the length are zero is probably about the same speed as testing a
boolean parameter.  It's unlikely to be enough slower to justify the
cost of passing another parameter.

            regards, tom lane