Re: Out of Memory errors are frustrating as heck! - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Out of Memory errors are frustrating as heck!
Date
Re: Out of Memory errors are frustrating as heck!  (Peter <pmc@citylink.dinoex.sub.org>)
List pgsql-performance
Gunther <raj@gusw.net> writes:
> For weeks now, I am banging my head at an "out of memory" situation.
> There is only one query I am running on an 8 GB system, whatever I try,
> I get knocked out on this out of memory. It is extremely impenetrable to
> understand and fix this error. I guess I could add a swap file, and then
> I would have to take the penalty of swapping. But how can I actually
> address an out of memory condition if the system doesn't tell me where
> it is happening?

> You might want to see the query, but it is a huge plan, and I can't
> really break this down. It shouldn't matter though. But just so you can
> get a glimpse here is the plan:

Is that the whole plan?  With just three sorts and two materializes,
it really shouldn't use more than more-or-less 5X work_mem.  What do
you have work_mem set to, anyway?  Is this a 64-bit build of PG?

Also, are the estimated rowcounts shown here anywhere close to what
you expect in reality?  If there are any AFTER INSERT triggers on the
insertion target table, you'd also be accumulating per-row trigger
queue entries ... but if there's only circa 35K rows to be inserted,
it's hard to credit that eating more than a couple hundred KB, either.

> Might this be a bug?

It's conceivable that you've hit some memory-leakage bug, but if so you
haven't provided nearly enough info for anyone else to reproduce it.
You haven't even shown us the actual error message :-(

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Guide_to_reporting_problems

            regards, tom lane