Re: BUG ? or SQL miss understanding ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG ? or SQL miss understanding ?
Date
List pgsql-general
Manfred Koizar <mkoi-pg@aon.at> writes:
> In
>     SELECT ... FROM a, b LEFT JOIN c ON (a.id = ...)
> the LEFT JOIN operator has higher precedence than the comma, so "a" is
> not part of the JOIN.  Better use ANSI syntax consistently:

BTW, a lot of people coming from MySQL get this wrong.  According to
what I've heard, MySQL considers JOIN to have the same precedence as
comma, so that the above would in fact work as the OP seems to expect.
However, MySQL is flatly in violation of the SQL standard on this
point :-(

            regards, tom lane