Re: [HACKERS] Removal of plaintext password type references - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Removal of plaintext password type references
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka@iki.fi> writes:
> Also note that changing the signature check_password_hook_type would
> break any external modules that use the hook. Removing
> PASSWORD_TYPE_PLAINTEXT will do that too, because any password hook
> function would use that constant (see e.g. contrib/passwordcheck). If we
> were to change the signature, I'd actually like to simplify it by
> removing the password_type parameter altogether. The hook function can
> call get_password_type() on the password itself to get the same
> information. But it's not worth changing the API and breaking external
> modules for that.

FWIW, I think we've never hesitated to change hook signatures across major
versions if there was a good reason for it.  It seems actually rather
unlikely that an external module interested in check_password_hook would
not need to know about the SCRAM changes, so this case seems like it's
easily justifiable.