Re: Re: [HACKERS] Re: [HACKERS] Windows service is not starting so there’s message in log: FATAL: "could not create shared memory segment “Global/PostgreSQL.851401618”: Permission denied” - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Re: [HACKERS] Re: [HACKERS] Windows service is not starting so there’s message in log: FATAL: "could not create shared memory segment “Global/PostgreSQL.851401618”: Permission denied”
Date
In response to Re: [HACKERS] Re: [HACKERS] Windows service is not starting so there’s message in log: FATAL: "could not create shared memory segment “Global/PostgreSQL.851401618”: Permission denied”  (Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com>)
Responses Re: [HACKERS] Re: [HACKERS] Re: [HACKERS] Windows service is not starting so there’s message in log: FATAL: "could not create shared memory segment “Global/PostgreSQL.851401618”: Permission denied”  (Haribabu Kommi <kommi.haribabu@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> writes:
> On Sat, Oct 17, 2015 at 12:07 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Maybe we need to be using PostmasterRandom() rather than random() for
>> the control segment name.

> +1.  Though I think it is better to investigate the actual cause before
> doing this.

BackendRun() deliberately prevents that from working.  And it also sets
srandom() to a new value for each subprocess, so that AFAICS this idea
would be a net negative.  If you are seeing duplicate key values getting
selected, the problem is elsewhere.