Re: Specification of "/" in the host name (for Unix socket support) - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Specification of "/" in the host name (for Unix socket support)
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
Paul Thomas <paul@tmsl.demon.co.uk> writes:
> On 12/09/2003 20:20 Deepak Bhole wrote:
>> We are trying to add support for Unix sockets to the current jdbc
>> (for
>> our own release for now). The support is added via gnu classpath,located
>> at: http://www.nfrese.net/software/gnu_net_local/overview.html

> Why on earth are you trying to pollute the JDBC driver with
> platform-specific non-portable features that can be of no possible benefit
> to anyone except commercial companies attempting to use any underhanded
> means to lock customers into their product? Are you trying be the new
> Microsoft?

You got up on the wrong side of the bed today?  What's platform-specific
about Unix sockets?

> Get real. If Red Hat want to improve the JDBC driver, the ability to
> properly use server side prepared statements from a JDBC connection pool
> would give a massively bigger performance gain that anything you possibly
> ever get between tcp/ip and unix sockets.

Deepak did not state or imply that the motivation for this was performance.
Actually, it's security: lots of people prefer to run their PG servers
with no open TCP ports at all.  So it would be good if JDBC could talk
to such a server.

> Can you see why I'm so suspicious about the companies motives?

I'm suspicious about *you*.  Who are you to tell other people how to
spend their time?  And in such an impolite fashion?

> And just for the record, I'm 100% Red Hat Linux user.

Just for the record, I work for Red Hat.

            regards, tom lane