Re: Safe to delete files? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ron
Subject Re: Safe to delete files?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 4/12/19 3:11 PM, Paul van der Linden wrote:
Hi,

For my process, I needed to drop all the tables in a tablespace except one which I truncated.
After that I would have expected to have a couple of KB max in that folder, but there was about 200GB in it.

Did you vacuum afterwards?

There were 2 sets of files (<id1>, <id1>.1 .. <id1>.99, and the same for id2).
Tried the various options from https://blog.2ndquadrant.com/postgresql-filename-to-table/ and oid2name (with -i), to trace it back to a table but all came up empty.

Now this folder has a bit of a history spanning several postgres versions and upgrades, and sometime in the past one of the upgrades went horribly wrong, so my first thought was that this was possibly some leftovers from that mishap, but the filetimes were a bit later than that.
Also hard to tell because those tables are used as write-once, read-alot so could not base the last usage on filedate.

Normally I probably would dare to risk deleting those files, but after the dropping and truncating, the 2 files without extension had the time of drop/truncate and were 0 bytes in length (unfortunately I didn't check the filesize before drop/truncating).

Are there other options to see if these files are leftovers from previous stuff and not used by postgres (so i can safely delete them)?

Postgres 11, just one used database on it (the other one being a postgis template), running on windows server 2012.

In replies please use reply to all...