Re: pgsql: Allow units to be specified in relation option setting value. - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pgsql: Allow units to be specified in relation option setting value.
Date
List pgsql-committers
> On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 12:22 PM, Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Another approach is to change pg_dump so that it encloses the relopt
>> values with single quotes. This is the same approach as what
>> pg_dumpall does for database or role-specific settings.

> To me, this doesn't seem nearly important enough to justify breaking
> pg_dump compatibility.  AAUI, this is just a cosmetic improvement, so
> we shouldn't break functional things for that.

Indeed.  I am not convinced that pg_dump is the only client-side code
that would get broken, either.

>> Further other approach is to change the reloptions code so that it
>> always stores the plain value without the units (i.e., 1000 is stored
>> if 1s is specified in autovacuum_vacuum_cost_delay)in pg_class.

> This seems like the way to go.

Yeah, it's the best idea I can think of either.  It's a tad annoying but
I think we don't want to take the compatibility risks of storing
unit-ified values in reloptions.

In the meantime, the buildfarm is still all red.  Can we please revert
this patch until a fixed version is ready?

            regards, tom lane