minor annoyance - search_path not reset in/after dump/restore - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Frank van Vugt
Subject minor annoyance - search_path not reset in/after dump/restore
Date
List pgsql-bugs
L.S.

I'm not sure the following qualifies as a 'real' bug, but since it suprised me,
I'd like to raise it here, just in case it surprises others as well.

Postgresql version 9.6.6

The default value for the search_path is "$user", public.

Since I'm using schema's, my pg_dump files contain lines like this:SET search_path = cnt_user, pg_catalog;
for each particular schema part in the dump.

However, at the end of the dump file, there's nothing to restore the
search_path to the default / last value.

This means that after restoring a dump via a psql console using a line like:\i /tmp/daily-db-backup
the search_path value will be equal to that of the last schema restored...

This causes unexpected output of commands like '\d' afterwards.

Obviously, disconnecting/reconnecting 'fixes' things.

--

Thanks,

Frank.