Re: Remote Connection Help - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Remote Connection Help
Date
List pgsql-general
Mark Johnson <remi9898@gmail.com> writes:
> As I recall, if the listening address is set to '*' but is showing
> localhost, then the problem you describe is likely due to missing an IPv6
> address in pg_hba.conf.

No, the contents of pg_hba.conf don't directly impact the listen_addresses
setting.  Also, if that's where the problem is, I'd expect a failure
complaining about "no pg_hba.conf entry for <connection info>".  The
reported "connection refused" message suggests strongly that the
postmaster isn't actually listening on the desired port, which also
implicates listen_addresses rather than anything else.  (I think it
could also be caused by a firewall filter, if the firewall is configured
to send back a TCP RST rather than just drop the packet.  But if "show
listen_addresses" isn't showing what we expect, that's the first thing
to fix.)

The OP may well need to adjust pg_hba.conf too, but he's not got
that far yet :-(

            regards, tom lane