Problem Accessing PostgreSQL from Perl CGI - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From ryan miller
Subject Problem Accessing PostgreSQL from Perl CGI
Date
List pgsql-novice
Hello all,

I'm trying to access my Postgres data base in perl Using DBI->connect

DBI connect('dbname=visualizer','visualizer',...) failed: could not connect to server: Permission denied

A few important things to note:
  1) I've checked the permissions on both the /tmp directory and the socket file, and both are 777 (wide open)
  2) I am able to access the database from php using pg_connect
  3) I can access Postgres with DBI->connect when I run the perl script from the command line, it's when
        I try to access Postgres from the perl CGI in a web application that I get this message
  4) I have the following in my pg_hba.conf file:

local    all     all    md5
host     all    all   0.0.0.0     0.0.0.0     md5
I think this should allow anyone to access any database from any ip address using md5 -- correct me if I'm wrong.

   5) I added apache to the appropriate group to make sure apache has permission to the proper files

I have changed every permission I can think of, short of chmod 777 -R /
I'm about out of ideas.

I don't think it is a version incompatibility since everything works fine from the command line, but just in case here are the versions

Postgres: 4.7.4
Perl 5.8.5

Thank you for your consideration,
    RYan Miller