Re: youtube video on pgsql integrity - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gavan Schneider
Subject Re: youtube video on pgsql integrity
Date
List pgsql-general
On Friday, November 30, 2012 at 02:30, czisg0sgmt@sneakemail.com
(Chris Angelico rosuav-at-gmail.com |pg-gts/Basic|) wrote:

>I like his quoting of the error messages. MySQL: now()/0 -> NULL;
>PostgreSQL: now()/0 -> "dude, what are you doing".

Hmmmm... that looked amusing in a perverse way, and a diversion
from test cases, so I gave it a try mid psql session, as follows:

     pendari=> select '2149Q1'::text similar to '((19)|(20))[0-9]{2}Q[1-4]'::text;
      ?column?
     ----------
     (1 row)

     pendari=> select now()/0;
     Bus error: 10
     pendari:~ gavan$ psql --user=book_keeper --host=localhost pendari
     psql: could not connect to server: Connection refused
         Is the server running on host "localhost" (127.0.0.1)
and accepting
         TCP/IP connections on port 5434?
     could not connect to server: Connection refused
         Is the server running on host "localhost" (::1) and accepting
         TCP/IP connections on port 5434?
     could not connect to server: Connection refused
         Is the server running on host "localhost" (fe80::1) and accepting
         TCP/IP connections on port 5434?
     pendari:~ gavan$

Ouch! That is a strange way to say "dude, what are you doing",
even if it is totally accurate.
     PostreSQL:  9.2.1
     System:     Mac OS X Server Lion 10.7.5 (11G63)
     Processor:  2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
     RAM:        8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
     Nothing got to the log files

On the assumption that stupid user input should not crash the
server I consider this to be a bug, but also assume there must
be some details in my configuration that have brought this to
light. So what extra information is needed to complete the picture?

Since I did the build myself I have the ./configure output
files, and will see if a core dump has turned up somewhere.
Anything else to add? and, what is the next step?

Regards
Gavan Schneider

PS. Of course I will smile bravely if this is the postgresql
equivalent of being Rick rolled :)