Re: server permissions for sql copy - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: server permissions for sql copy
Date
List pgsql-general
Andrew Gould <andrewgould@yahoo.com> writes:
> I'm running PostgreSQL 7.0.2 on Caldera eDesktop 2.4.
> when I try to use the SQL COPY command in psql, I get
> an error message informing me that the backend could
> not open the file for reading.  I think the error
> number was 13 - Permission denied.  I changed the
> permissions of the directory and file to
> world-readable; but I still get the same error
> message.

What about the directories above the one containing the file?

Also, don't forget that the critical permission for a directory
is execute (= "allow lookup of entries"), not read (= "make a
directory listing").  You probably want permissions rwxr-xr-x
or rwxrwxr-x on directories that need to be publicly readable.

            regards, tom lane