Re: Confusing error message with too-large file in pg_basebackup - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Confusing error message with too-large file in pg_basebackup
Date
List pgsql-bugs
John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> writes:
> We still shouldn't be dumping core files as part of a pg_basebackup...

It'd be reasonable to skip 'em if we can identify 'em reliably.  I'm
not sure how reliably we can do that though.

> but then, why was the core file even IN the $PGDATA directory, shouldn't
> it have been in some other dir, like the postgres daemon user's $HOME ?

No, that's standard behavior.  (I know of no Unix-oid system that dumps
cores into your $HOME by default; it's normally either $PWD or some
reserved directory like /cores.)

            regards, tom lane