Re: compiler warning read_objtype_from_string() - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: compiler warning read_objtype_from_string()
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> I'm getting the following compiler warning (using nondefault
>> optimization options):
>> objectaddress.c: In function 'read_objtype_from_string':
>> objectaddress.c:2309:9: error: 'type' may be used uninitialized in this
>> function [-Werror=maybe-uninitialized]
>> return type;

> Umm.  I think it can only be uninitialized if we fall out of the end of
> the array, in which case we're supposed to throw the ERROR and never
> return.  Is that not working?

I do not think you should assume that the compiler is smart enough to
deduce that, nor that all compilers even know ereport(ERROR) doesn't
return.  Personally I don't see the point of the "type" variable at
all, anyway.  I would have written this as
   int            i;
   for (i = 0; i < lengthof(ObjectTypeMap); i++)   {       if (strcmp(ObjectTypeMap[i].tm_name, objtype) == 0)
return ObjectTypeMap[i].tm_type;   }   ereport(ERROR,           (errcode(ERRCODE_INVALID_PARAMETER_VALUE),
errmsg("unrecognizedobject type \"%s\"", objtype)));   return -1;    /* keep compiler quiet */