Re: How to add hosts to pg_hba.conf and postgresql.conf? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: How to add hosts to pg_hba.conf and postgresql.conf?
Date
List pgsql-general
Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@gmail.com> writes:
> On Tuesday, March 15, 2011 8:50:34 am general_lee wrote:
>> But I get a "connection refused" if I try and telnet to port 5432 from a
>> remote host.

> Is this a "connection refused" from Postgres or telnet?

Postgres doesn't ever emit an error message spelled like that.  This
error means the connection request is never getting to the postmaster,
which means either (a) the postmaster isn't actually running, or at
least isn't listening on the port you think it is, or (b) there's a
packet filter or something similar blocking the connection request from
getting through.

If you can connect locally but not remotely, then it's almost certainly
(b).  Check network-related settings to see about opening up port 5432.

            regards, tom lane