Re: On partitioning - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: On partitioning
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> I thought putting the partition boundaries into pg_inherits was a
> strange choice.  I'd put it in pg_class, or in pg_partition if we
> decide to create that.

Yeah.  I rather doubt that we want this mechanism to be very closely
tied to the existing inheritance features.  If we do that, we are
going to need a boatload of error checks to prevent people from breaking
partitioned tables by applying the sort of twiddling that inheritance
allows.

> Maybe as anyarray, but I think pg_node_tree
> might even be better.  That can also represent data of some arbitrary
> type, but it doesn't enforce that everything is uniform.

Of course, the more general you make it, the more likely that it'll be
impossible to optimize well.