Re: log_filename_prefix --> log_filename + strftime() - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: log_filename_prefix --> log_filename + strftime()
Date
List pgsql-patches
"Ed L." <pgsql@bluepolka.net> writes:
> On Friday August 27 2004 1:15, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Yeah, and it would also prevent a risk I now see with your initial
>> patch: if no %, it'll write the same filename each time, which
>> is almost certainly not desired.  Works for me.

> I think this turns out to be no big deal either way here as it is for Apache
> either way.  Consider if I set my rotation time to 1 hour and my
> log_filename = 'server_log.%a' (server_log.Fri).

But that avoids the problem because you *do* have an escape, and thus
more than one possible logfilename.  If we treat no-escape as meaning
a constant filename, there is no rotation possible, other than rotation
through truncation which doesn't seem likely to be useful to anyone.

            regards, tom lane