Re: tie user processes to postmaster was:(Re: [HACKERS] scheduler in core) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jaime Casanova
Subject Re: tie user processes to postmaster was:(Re: [HACKERS] scheduler in core)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 4:37 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine@hi-media.com> writes:
>> Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
>>> This seems like a solution in search of a problem to me.  The most
>>> salient aspect of such processes is that they would necessarily run
>>> as the postgres user
>
>> The precedent are archive and restore command. They do run as postgres
>> user too, don't they?
>
> Well, yeah, but you *must* trust those commands because every last bit
> of your database content passes through their hands.  That is not an
> argument why you need to trust a scheduling facility --- much less the
> tasks it schedules.

Ok, let's forget the scheduler for a minute... this is not about that
anymore, is about having the ability to launch user processes when the
postmaster is ready to accept connections, this could be used for
launching an scheduler but also for launching other tools (ie:
pgbouncer, slon daemons, etc)

--
Atentamente,
Jaime Casanova