Re: Re: [BUGS] BUG #4689: Expanding the length of a VARCHAR column should not induce a table rewrite - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jaime Casanova
Subject Re: Re: [BUGS] BUG #4689: Expanding the length of a VARCHAR column should not induce a table rewrite
Date
In response to Re: Re: [BUGS] BUG #4689: Expanding the length of a VARCHAR column should not induce a table rewrite  ("Kevin Grittner" <Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 2:46 PM, Kevin Grittner
<Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov> wrote:

>> now, back to the problem... is not easier to define a column as TEXT
>> and to put a check to constraint the length? if you wanna change the
>> constraint that will be almost free
>
> Thanks for the interesting suggestion.  I'm not sure I'd want to go
> there for various reasons; but even if I wanted to go that route, how
> would I modify that constraint without causing the whole table to be
> scanned for compliance?

the table will be scanned but not rewritten

--
Atentamente,
Jaime Casanova