Re: Determine query run-time from pg_* tables - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Erik Jones
Subject Re: Determine query run-time from pg_* tables
Date
List pgsql-general
On Oct 23, 2007, at 8:43 AM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> Ow Mun Heng wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is there a method to obtain the query's runtime from any of the pg_*
>> tables?
>
> No.  You can use log_durations and log_statement for that.  We don't
> store that info in tables.
>
>> Right now, I'm only seeing the backend_start_time (from
>> pg_stat_activity) (and I'm also not sure how to interpret this.
>
> This is the time that the session was started.  Nothing to do with the
> query itself.

query_start does, however, give you the time that the query started.
I use something like

SELECT procpid, client_addr, to_char(now() - query_start, 'DD
HH24:MI:SS') as query_time, current_query
FROM pg_stat_activity
ORDER BY query_time DESC;

To get a snapshot view of what's currently running in our databases.

Erik Jones

Software Developer | Emma®
erik@myemma.com
800.595.4401 or 615.292.5888