Re: Possible to store invalid SCRAM-SHA-256 Passwords - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Possible to store invalid SCRAM-SHA-256 Passwords
Date
List pgsql-bugs
> * raf@raf.org (raf@raf.org) wrote:
>> I don't think there's anything wrong with prefixing a
>> password hash with an identifier for the password
>> hashing scheme (and any parameters for that scheme).
>> This is done all the time in many systems. It just has
>> to be unambiguoous.

> There isn't a way to make it unambiguous given that we accept
> more-or-less anything as a plaintext password though, that would be the
> issue here..

In practice, particularly with the extra validation we just added,
it seems vanishingly unlikely that anyone would choose a password
that just happened to look like one of the hashed formats.

If somebody intentionally chooses such a password, well, it's on
their heads whether the outcome is what they want.

            regards, tom lane