Re: Unix-domain socket support on Windows - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Unix-domain socket support on Windows
Date
Re: Unix-domain socket support on Windows  (Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
> On 2019-12-18 14:52, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> We have code paths for Unix socket support and no Unix socket support.
>> Now add a third variant: Unix socket support but do not use a Unix
>> socket by default in the client or the server, only if you explicitly
>> specify one.
>>
>> To implement this, tweak things so that setting DEFAULT_PGSOCKET_DIR
>> to "" has the desired effect.  This mostly already worked like that;
>> only a few places needed to be adjusted.  Notably, the reference to
>> DEFAULT_PGSOCKET_DIR in UNIXSOCK_PATH() could be removed because all
>> callers already resolve an empty socket directory setting with a
>> default if appropriate.

> Perhaps this patch is too boring to be reviewed.  If there are no
> objections, I'll commit it soon and then submit the final patches with
> the real functionality for the next commit fest.

Sorry, I'd paid no particular attention to this thread because
I figured it'd take a Windows-competent person to review.  But
the patch as it stands isn't that.

The code looks fine (and a big +1 for not having knowledge of
DEFAULT_PGSOCKET_DIR wired into UNIXSOCK_PATH).  I wonder though
whether any user-facing documentation needs to be adjusted.