Re: BUG #17351: Altering a composite type created for a partitioned table can lead to a crash - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #17351: Altering a composite type created for a partitioned table can lead to a crash
Date
List pgsql-bugs
> When executing the following queries:
> create table pt (a int, b int) partition by list (b);
> create table t(a pt, check (a = '(1, 2)'::pt));
> alter table pt alter column a type char(4);
> \d+ t
> The server crashes with the following stack:

Hmm.  We really ought to reject the ALTER TABLE.  We do if "pt"
is a plain table:

regression=# create table pt (a int, b int);
CREATE TABLE
regression=# create table t(a pt);
CREATE TABLE
regression=# alter table pt alter column a type char(4);
ERROR:  cannot alter table "pt" because column "t.a" uses its row type

So something is mistakenly skipping that check for partitioned
tables.

I think we're also failing to worry about the rowtype of the
constant in t's check constraint; it seems like that has to
be complained of as well, even if the underyling columns
aren't of type "pt".

            regards, tom lane