Re: BUG #17323: test_config_settings during postgres initialization does not read the parameter huge_pages - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #17323: test_config_settings during postgres initialization does not read the parameter huge_pages
Date
In response to BUG #17323: test_config_settings during postgres initialization does not read the parameter huge_pages  (PG Bug reporting form <noreply@postgresql.org>)
Responses RE: BUG #17323: test_config_settings during postgres initialization does not read the parameter huge_pages  (Min Zhang XX <min.xx.zhang@ericsson.com>)
List pgsql-bugs
> In the function test_config_settings() which will run during postgres
> initialization, the logic will create a new process to test what default
> parameters(such as max_connections, shared_buffers) can be set.
> However, it seems the new process so called testing process does not take
> the parameter huge_pages(in postgresql.conf.sample) into account.

The initial configuration will never have huge_pages enabled.
If you want that, it's up to you to adjust the settings
afterwards --- and that typically would also involve changing
shared_buffers.  (The settings that initdb would choose are
not large enough to justify worrying about huge pages anyway.)

> In a K8s cluster environment, sometimes this will lead to the testing
> process core dump.

This claim is quite detail-free, so I don't see how we are
supposed to respond to it.

            regards, tom lane