Re: Committing Resources to Win32 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers-win32

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: Committing Resources to Win32
Date
List pgsql-hackers-win32

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrew Dunstan [mailto:andrew@dunslane.net]
Sent: Friday, November 07, 2003 10:02 AM
To: pgsql-hackers-win32
Subject: Re: [pgsql-hackers-win32] Committing Resources to Win32

I don't think it makes sense to have threading on only one platform from

a common code base. Perhaps a parallel effort needs to be to develop a
threaded version for Unix and see how portable and stable it is, and
then see how we can get that onto Windows.

<snip>

I 100% agree.  Process management on windows is not *that* slow, and
being able to track processes in the task manager is a nice feature.
The IPC emulation over memory mapped files used in the PeerDirect port
worked pretty much ok as did the rest of that port.  If threading is
really the way to go, it should be implemented and managed by the core
team and not by the win32 porting effort.

As for the move away from Visual Studio, it's going to cause a lot of
short term pain (especially for would be contributors...like me :) ),
but after some reflection I believe the move was the right one in the
long run.  Windows developers will be unfamiliar with the build
environment but this can be mitigated by making a binary release for
windows once in a while.

Merlin