Re: SQL/XML examples - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: SQL/XML examples
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> I've found a web page that contains some examples of the use of the
> features in the proposed SQL/XML standard (as implemented by Oracle).
> This should give us some ideas about what to aim for.
>
> http://otn.oracle.com/tech/xml/xmldb/htdocs/sql_xml_codeexamples.html
>
> The third example converts a query result to an XML document.  (Notice
> that they do not do this at the protocol level.)  The other examples
> process XML data within SQL using XPath/XQuery-type operations.

IMHO, I think that makes a lot of sense.  The xml mapping can be done at
the server (via internals) or the client (like psql html).  The current
protocol works in either case: why complicate it?

It's also worth noting they use wc3 schemas.

Merlin