Multi-Column Constraints and Null Values - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Phillip Tornroth
Subject Multi-Column Constraints and Null Values
Date
List pgsql-sql
I have a problem in a number of my tables. I'd like to add uniqueness
constraints across multiple columns, but some of the columns are
nullable. This gives me trouble since when I create a constraint on
columns A and B.. I'd like the constraint to be enforced such that
you couldn't insert values ("value for A", null) twice. I understand
why the constraints work this way, but I'm wondering if anyone knows
of a workaround.

Feel free to spare me any "don't use nullable columns" responses. I
of course am aware that is an option. It's just one I'm hoping to
avoid as this is a legacy database and it would be a mammoth effort
to accomplish.

Thank you in advance!

Phill