Re: Opening view that uses a function - empty column - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Brady Mathis
Subject Re: Opening view that uses a function - empty column
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
Oh!  And, I made another observation while cracking away at this:  When I connect to the DB using PGAdmin (1.14.3) from
aremote workstation as opposed to on the DB server itself, I see the same problem with the empty external_id column
whenexecuting "select * from rhs.encounter;".

Could this be a problem with how I have implemented my functions?  There are two  functions calls actually used to fill
thecolumn - I included the complete text of the functions below.

get_valid_xml - ensures that content from pg_largeobject is valid xml
extract_from_extended - uses xmlparse and xpath to get one specific value

Thanks...again!

/* Function to validate xml for xpath use in SQL query */
CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION rhs.get_valid_xml(x text)
  RETURNS xml AS
$BODY$
BEGIN
    PERFORM XMLPARSE( DOCUMENT x );
        RETURN XMLPARSE( DOCUMENT x );
    EXCEPTION WHEN OTHERS THEN
        RETURN XMLPARSE( DOCUMENT '<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><fields></fields>' );
END;
$BODY$
  LANGUAGE plpgsql VOLATILE
  COST 100;
ALTER FUNCTION rhs.get_valid_xml(text) OWNER TO postgres;

/* Function to allow extract of fields from _extended */
CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION rhs.extract_from_extended(field_name text, menu_data_id bigint)
  RETURNS text AS
$BODY$
    select translate( xpath('//field[@name="'||$1||'" and @type="String"]/text()', xmlparse(document (
rhs.get_valid_xml(array_to_string( array(select lo.data from app.menu_data md, pg_catalog.pg_largeobject lo where md.id
=$2 and  md.xml01 = lo.loid), '') ) )))::text, '{}', '');
$BODY$
  LANGUAGE sql VOLATILE
  COST 100;
ALTER FUNCTION rhs.extract_from_extended(text, bigint) OWNER TO postgres;