referential integrity without trigger - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alexander Presber
Subject referential integrity without trigger
Date
Re: referential integrity without trigger  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general
Hello everybody,

Assuming I want to empty and refill table A (with roughly the same
content, preferrably in one transaction) and don't want to completely
empty a dependent table B but still keep referential integrity after
the commit.

Without disabling A's on-delete-trigger B will be be emptied on
commit, even when I inserted exactly the same data into A that I
deleted an instant before. That is because the trigger gets called on
commit, no matter if the deleted rows have "reappeared".

If I disable the trigger, My referential integrity is most likely
corrupted.
Is there a clever, general scheme to "recheck"  and enforce foreign
key contraints, after the responsible triggers have been disabled and
reenabled?

I hope this makes sense to you.

Alexander Presber