Re: postgres_fdw does not see enums - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: postgres_fdw does not see enums
Date
Re: postgres_fdw does not see enums  (Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
David Fetter <david@fetter.org> writes:
> On Wed, Dec 03, 2014 at 05:52:03PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> What do you mean "reconstruct the enum"?

> Capture its state at the time when IMPORT FOREIGN SCHEMA is executed.
> Right now, if you try IMPORT SCHEMA on a foreign table with an enum in
> it, postgresql_fdw errors out rather than trying to notice that
> there's an enum definition which should precede creation and execute
> it in the correct order.

Oh, you think IMPORT FOREIGN SCHEMA should try to import enums?
I doubt it.  What happens if the enum already exists locally?
And why enums, and not domains, ranges, composite types, etc?

Perhaps more to the point, IMPORT FOREIGN SCHEMA is defined in the SQL
standard, as are its effects, and those effects are defined as a series of
CREATE FOREIGN TABLE commands.  There's nothing there about trying to
import types that the tables might depend on.