Re: 8.4.1 distinct query WITHOUT order by - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Gary Chambers
Subject Re: 8.4.1 distinct query WITHOUT order by
Date
List pgsql-sql
> Yeah, if you're code base is that fragile, bandaging it up by jumping
> through hoops in pgsql is just putting off the inevitable when it (the
> code base) has to get recompiled someday anyway.

I appreciate (and agree with) the concern about the fragility of the
codebase.  The maintainer knows that anything except adding ORDER BY
is a kludge.

Now, the aforementioned notwithstanding...

Aside from disabling enable_hashagg (which, according to the
documentation, is performance-expensive), what other options do I
have?

What are the ramifications of renaming the table (containing 8000
rows) and creating a view of the same name?

Assuming it's possible, would the efficiency of a rule to rewrite the
query be an acceptable alternative?

Thanks in advance for any insight and suggestions!

-- Gary Chambers

/* Nothing fancy and nothing Microsoft! */