Re: Large writable variables - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Large writable variables
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On 2018-10-16 01:59:00 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Also, I noticed that the biggest part of those structs are arrays of
>> FormatNode, which has been designed with complete lack of thought about
>> size or padding issues.  We can very easily cut it in half on 64-bit
>> machines.

> Heh, neat. I feel like we've paid very little attention to that in a
> myriad of places :(

Most of the time, we probably *shouldn't* pay attention to it; logical
field ordering is worth a good deal IMO.  But in a case like this,
where there are large arrays of the things and it's not very painful
to avoid padding waste, it's worth the trouble.