Re: Allow tests to pass in OpenSSL FIPS mode - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Daniel Gustafsson
Subject Re: Allow tests to pass in OpenSSL FIPS mode
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On 8 Mar 2023, at 10:30, Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>
> On 08.03.23 10:21, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
>>> On 8 Mar 2023, at 09:49, Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>>> It occurred to me that it would be easier to maintain this in the long run if we could enable a "fake FIPS" mode
thatwould have the same effect but didn't require fiddling with the OpenSSL configuration or installation.

>>> The attached patch shows how this could work.  Thoughts?
>> - * Initialize a hash context.  Note that this implementation is designed
>> - * to never fail, so this always returns 0.
>> + * Initialize a hash context.
>> Regardless of which, we wan't this hunk since the code clearly can return -1.
>
> I was a bit puzzled by these comments in that file.  While the existing implementations (mostly) never fail, they are
clearlynot *designed* to never fail, since the parallel OpenSSL implementations can fail (which is the point of this
thread). So I would remove these comments altogether, really.

The comment in question was missed in 55fe26a4b58, but I agree that it's a
false claim given the OpenSSL implementation so removing or at least mimicking
the comments in cryptohash_openssl.c would be better.

--
Daniel Gustafsson