Re: Inserting heap tuples in bulk in COPY - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Florian Pflug
Subject Re: Inserting heap tuples in bulk in COPY
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Aug12, 2011, at 21:16 , Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> Triggers complicate this. I believe it is only safe to group tuples together like this if the table has no triggers.
ABEFORE ROW trigger might run a SELECT on the table being copied to, and check if some of the tuples we're about to
insertexist. If we run BEFORE ROW triggers for a bunch of tuples first, and only then insert them, none of the trigger
invocationswill see the other rows as inserted yet. Similarly, if we run AFTER ROW triggers after inserting a bunch of
tuples,the trigger for each of the insertions would see all the inserted rows.

Don't we run AFTER ROW triggers after inserting *all* the tuples anyway? At least this is what we do in the case of
INSERT/UPDATE/DELETEif I'm not mistaken.

best regards,
Florian Pflug