Re: [GENERAL] server hardware recommendations (the archives are dead) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ken Gunderson
Subject Re: [GENERAL] server hardware recommendations (the archives are dead)
Date
List pgsql-general
At 08:41 AM 12/15/99 -0500, Adam Rossi wrote:
>I know this question has been asked before. I have seen it in the archives.
>Unfortunately the archives are dead right now (any search will yield "no
>results") and I need to make some decisions.
>
>Can anyone give some general recommendations on hardware for a server
>running Linux (RH6 or 6.1) and PostgreSQL? I estimate that there will be
>about 2 GIG of data stored in the database initially, but this could grow as
>high as 5 GIG in the future.
>
>Since the db is not multithreaded, I assume that buying a dual processor
>board and two processors would not be helpful to performance. Like any
>database server, a lot of ram will be required for fast operation. I was
>thinking at a minimum 256 meg of ram. I also want to have the database run
>on a RAID 5 array for speed and fault tolerance. Any suggestions here for
>disk type, RAID scheme (software or hardware), controller type, etc.? Any
>rule of thumb on the "extra" disk space needed above raw storage space for
>PostgreSQL operations (temporary tables, vacuum issues, etc)?
>
>Any past experiences, benchmarks, guesses, or hearsay gladly accepted.
>Thanks for your help.

I think you may want to consider a software based volume manager (e.g.
Veritas) and run a stripped mirror (RAID 10) rather than RAID 5.  This will
help out on writes.  I'm not into RH, but surely they must offer something
comparable to FreeBSD's Vinum.  If not, I know Debian has one available.

Ciao-- Ken
http://www.y2know.org/safari

Failure is not an option.  It comes bundled with your
Microsoft product.