Re: OID - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Michelle Konzack
Subject Re: OID
Date
List pgsql-novice
Hello Chris,

Am 08:28 2003-01-20 -0600 hat Chris Boget geschrieben:

>Could someone explain what this is and what it's used
>for?  Going through the iDocs, I see that it's short for
>Object Identifier.  But I never saw a clear explanation of
>what it is/used for.

Read: O'Reilly (Practical PostgreSQL) Page 87  ;-))

On  table management concern can be how to distinguish between two rows
whose collumn values are identical. A very useful PostgreSQL feature is
that every row has its own 'object identifier' number, or OID, which is
unique within that table. In other words, no two rows within the same
table should ever have the same OID. This means that even if a table
were designed in such a way that two rows might be identical, there is
still a programmatic way to discern between them: through the OID.

I hope this helps
Michelle