Re: postgresql 7.2b5 and vserver: statistics sockets - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Lincoln Yeoh
Subject Re: postgresql 7.2b5 and vserver: statistics sockets
Date
List pgsql-general
At 12:08 PM 23-01-2002 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
><postgresql@fruru.com> writes:
>> If more people encounter the same problem (it's the way vserver works,
>> there are some good arguments on why not to make 127.0.0.1 available)
>
>Uh ... what are they?  We're willing to listen to reasonable arguments
>why that needs to be configurable.

Just like to point out that if IP forwarding is enabled on a target host,
other hosts on the same network could access 127.0.0.1 on that target host
(or any interface for that matter).

For some target operating systems that may still work even if IP forwarding
is off.

e.g. use certain source operating systems, bring down 127.x.x.x if present,
add the route to 127.0.0.1 using gateway = target host adjacent IP. Now
ping or telnet 127.0.0.1.

Cheerio,
Link.