Re: Backward migration - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Lincoln Yeoh
Subject Re: Backward migration
Date
List pgsql-general
At 12:18 PM 17-05-2001 +0200, Francisco M. Marzoa Alonso wrote:

>Hi there,
>
>I must migrate a PostgreSQL database that I've created initially with
>PostgreSQL 7.0 over LiNUX to a system that has PostgreSQL 6.5.3 running on a
>FreeBSD. I've no chance to update de PostgreSQL engine to a newer version so
>the only way for me to do this is migrating the data.
>
>I've used pg_dump ... and psql -e ... to do this, but I've obtained a lot of
>errors and, finally, a segmentation fault; Of course, database is not
>created. It seems like 6.5.3 version couldn't understand some of the
commands
>or the syntax generated by pg_dump on 7.0.
>
>Help???

It is probably a better idea to upgrade to 7.1.x at this moment. It doesn't
really take that much time, probably the same amount of time (or even less)
to get your 7.0 data working in a 6.5.3 environment.

You could also run 7.1.x concurrently with 6.5.3 if necessary.

Cheerio,
Link.