Re: Upgrade issue (again). - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Lincoln Yeoh
Subject Re: Upgrade issue (again).
Date
List pgsql-hackers
At 04:50 PM 16-05-2001 -0400, Lamar Owen wrote:

>I am loathe to even bring this up, but with two messages today about it, I
am
>going to be short and sweet:
>
>We don't have a reasonable upgrade path.  ASCII dump->install
>new->initdb->restore is not a reasonable upgrade.  It is confusing to the
>newbie, and should be fixed.  We used to have an upgrade path in pg_upgrade

>time, Bruce!). Furthermore, the dump/restore cycle is a pain in the neck
when
>tables get larger than a few hundred megabytes.  It's worse when the newer

I won't mind a better upgrade method. But so far I pipe the dump into gzip,
and the resulting file is of manageable size.

What I find annoying is that pg_dumpall doesn't support username and
password. So far I just do a pg_dump of the relevant databases, and
recreate the users manually when installing.

Also to reload the file I do:
zcat gzippedusernameandpassword.gz dbfile.gz | psql

That's a bit ugly :).

Cheerio,
Link.