Re: Re: Re: refusing connections based on load ... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Lincoln Yeoh
Subject Re: Re: Re: refusing connections based on load ...
Date
List pgsql-hackers
At 11:28 PM 24-04-2001 -0300, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

>I have a Dual-866, 1gig of RAM and strip'd file systems ... this past
>week, I've hit many times where CPU usage is 100%, RAM is 500Meg free and
>disks are pretty much sitting idle ...
>
>It turns out, in this case, that vacuum was in order (i vacuum 12x per day
>now instead of 6), so that now it will run with 300 simultaneous
>connections, but with a loadavg of 68 or so, 300 connections are just
>building on each other to slow the rest down :(

Hmm then maybe we should refuse connections based on "need to vacuum"... :).

Seriously though does the _total_ work throughput go down significantly
when you have high loads?

I got a load 13 with 25 concurrent connections (not much), and yeah things
took longer but the hits per second wasn't very much different from the
peak possible with fewer connections. Basically in my case almost the same
amount of work is being done per second.

So maybe higher loads might be fine on your more powerful system?

Cheerio,
Link.