Re: pg_dump ordering problem (rc4) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Philip Warner
Subject Re: pg_dump ordering problem (rc4)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
At 18:29 14/04/01 +1000, Philip Warner wrote:

>I don't suppose we can change the pg_views view without an initdb?

Having now looked at the source, I realize that initdb is where this view
is defined. However, is there any reason that we can not change this
definition when upgrading to 7.1.1?

The embargo on initdb is, I think, primarily related to avoiding
export/import of databases - is that right? If so, then doing
non-destructive changes to things like system views does not seem too evil
(in this case an update of a row of pg_rewrite and the addition of an attr
to pg_views, I think).

Am I missing something here? ISTM that the more higher level definitions we
have (eg. functions returning multiple rows, DEFINITION SCHEMAs etc), the
more we may need to allow changes to be made of things that are
*customarily* defined in initdb.

PGP key available upon request,  |  /
and from pgp5.ai.mit.edu:11371   |/