Re: Re: HOLD THE PRESSES!! ... pg_dump from v7.0.3 can't import to v7.1? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Philip Warner
Subject Re: Re: HOLD THE PRESSES!! ... pg_dump from v7.0.3 can't import to v7.1?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
At 17:18 11/04/01 +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

>What I meant was that whenever the backend changes in a way that mandates
>pg_dump changes we would leave the old way in place and only add a new
>case to handle the new backend.

That's what I had in mind as well; I gave up on the backport because it
seemed pointless (as you suggest).

>This would invariably introduce code bloat, but that could probably be
>managed by a modular design within pg_dump, plus perhaps removing support
>for really old versions once in a while.

I was thinking that with time these version-specific cases will reduce (eg.
definition schemas will help), and that we could put all the DB interface
into separate modules.

PGP key available upon request,  |  /
and from pgp5.ai.mit.edu:11371   |/