Re: capitalized sql (was: Re: Changing the default value of an inherited column) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Philip Warner
Subject Re: capitalized sql (was: Re: Changing the default value of an inherited column)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
At 12:04 3/04/01 +0200, Zeugswetter Andreas SB wrote:

>> will get dumped as:
>>
>>     CREATE TABLE "c5" (
>>         "f1" integer NOT NULL,
>>         "f3" integer
>>     )
>>     inherits ("p3_def1");
>
>As an aside answer without considerable importance:
>
>Why do people tend to write SQL keywords in all capitals ?

It's just one of those things that people do; some people find it easier to
read (I actually prefer proper case keywords for SQL, unquoted upper case
for names etc):
    Create Table C5 (        F1 Integer Not Null,        F3 Integer    )    Inherits (P3_DEF1);

As to why it's in pg_dump, I think it reflects the many & varied
contributors as opposed to careful design. There is some proper-case stuff
in there now (from me), which I will try to remember to remove. The upper
case stuff is there since 6.x at least, and I'm not sure why INHERITS is in
lower case. Type names are now formatted (mostly) using formatType (from
Peter E), so they will at least be consistent (and lower case).

PGP key available upon request,  |  /
and from pgp5.ai.mit.edu:11371   |/